At a minimum, you have to invest on your own domain and hosting. Based on the type of domain name you select, the costs could run from only $10 annually, to hundreds or perhaps millions!
For a site, shared hosting is sufficient. But as your traffic begins to expand, so will your hosting price range and needs. While shared hosting could be as low as $50 per year, moving to a VPS (virtual private server) or even a dedicated server can easily bump up the yearly price label to over $1,000.
Planning on starting a Site? It is true that a site can be liberated to start, but should you expect any sort of return for your efforts–whether it is affiliate sales ad revenue, or retail customers –the fact is that you get what you purchase.
What are the hidden costs of launching a site, and how much can you expect to pay for each?
Because of the possibilities that are available, it’s difficult for beginning a site to ballpark a price. The price is dependent upon your demands, expectations, and price range. The best way to start might be by selecting an general budget limitation and prioritizing which costs will be the most important for you.
Customized web designs can cost anywhere from a couple hundred. Finding a good web designer may be a challenge, but using a review site such as Which Web Design Company will allow you to obtain a designer that will work to meet your requirements in your budget.
Once your design is set, you will have to fill your site with content, and possibly begin a site . You may write it yourself, but it might be more cost-efficient to employ. Depending upon your quality of quality, you can pay as little as $1 per webpage for speakers, up to $100 a page or more for proficient writers.
You pick, the most important thing is that you get what you purchase.
After hosting name and picking your domain, it’s time. If you would like your site When there are myriad options for topics that are free, you need to look at a top or custom design.
How Much Does a Website Cost?
Every website needs a domain name to be hosted on the web. You purchase one that’s been enrolled for some time, or can either buy a brand new domain .
Most of us know there is a site essential to business success now, but is how much it can cost you to have one. Discover what to think about, and how to put your financial plan to get a web design job.
- Brand new domains will cost about $10-15 a year, depending on registrar and TLD.
- Registrar is the company like GoDaddy, BlueHost, etc.
- TLD refers to: .com, .org., .net
- Aged domains can cost hundreds, or even millions of dollars.
- Price depends on many factors including:
- Age of domain
- SEO.com: sold for $5 million in 2007
- Beer.com: sold for $7 million in 2004
- Hotels.com: sold for around $11 million in 2001
- You will pay a domain fee every year to keep the domain, which varies depending on registrar.
Total Cost (estimate): $10/year – hundreds, thousands, and even millions of dollars.
Every site needs web hosting to become online. Your web designer/developer is able to help you secure web hosting, however this is not typically included in the design and development charges.
- Shared: Many websites are hosted on the same server.
- Think of a server as an apartment building.
- Each “apartment” gets its own space and web address, but you are stuck with whatever the apartment building gives you.
- Cost effective way to host a website.
- Spend as little as $3.95/month
- Virtual Private Server (VPS): Many websites are hosted on the same server, but each account gets more control, similar to what dedicated servers provide.
- You’re still sharing the server, so you get an “apartment” but you have the freedom to do what you want with the apartment.
- More expensive than shared hosting, but gives you more control over the hosting environment.
- Expect to spend at least $29.99/month.
- Dedicated Server: You are in control of the server.
- You get your own apartment building, and are in complete control of it.
- You choose what software to run, how many websites to host, etc.
- Dedicated servers are best for sites that are highly trafficked, and need extra security.
- Dedicated servers are the most expensive way to host a website.
- Expect to spend at least $99.99/month
Total Cost (estimate): $47.40/year – $1,199.88/year
Design and Development
Costs can vary significantly depending on the scope of work required.
- Will a pre made theme work? (Price range: Free to ~$100)
- This is more cost-effective than something that will require heavy modification, or something that will need to be built from the ground up.
- Custom themes: $500 to $3,000
- Do you have graphics and imagery, or will the designer need to provide those as well?
- If the designer needs to provide that, think about how much they’ll have to provide.
- Stock photography/graphics can be costly, depending on the size you need. Expect to pay around $15 to $20 an image, but other images will cost more.
- ($1.60 to $1.67/credit, images average 6-15 credits) depending on the stock library you use.
- How many pages of content will your website need?
- Are you providing that, or will the designer need to do it?
- Will you outsource it to a copywriter, or write it yourself?
- If you write it yourself, do you have the time and ability?
- Content quality will vary depending on who you hire, and cost varies with quality.
- Freelance non-native English speakers will write for around $~1/page
- Agencies can charge $100+ page
- Functionality (Development)
- Do you need more than simple contact form?
- Will you need a forum?
- Do you want to include a blog?
- Will your website be membership based?
- Do you want your site to deliver dynamic content?
- Content that’s been personalized for each visitor?
- Example: com’s homepage is personalized based on purchase history.
- Will you need an ecommerce platform?
- Will your website need to be compatible with any third party platforms?
- Additional costs may be incurred for updates and website maintenance.
Total Cost (estimate): $200-$10,000+
Average Starting Prices
WhichWebDesignCompany.com keeps track of 7,382 web design companies world-wide. Here are the average starting prices for common website develop projects.
- UK Companies
- Prices start from £610 brochure website (data from 1452 companies)
- Prices start from £1165 content managed website (data from 1518 companies)
- Prices start from £1660 ecommerce website (data from 1472 companies)
- U.S. Companies
- Prices start from $1190 brochure website (data from 237 companies)
- Prices start from $2235 content managed website (data from 226 companies)
- Prices start from $2640 ecommerce website (data from 231 companies)
- Brochure Website: $1,190 – $3000+
- A “Brochure” website refers to a basic informational site about your business.
- Creates an “online presence”
- Generally Includes Pages for: Home, About, Products/Services and Contact
- CMS Website: $2,235 – $10,000+
- For membership-based sites, forums, blogs or other sites that use a database and/or dynamic content.
- Generally Includes Pages for: Home, About, Products/Services and Contact
- Plus: a CMS-integrated design & programming
- (Popular CMSs: Joomla, Drupal, WordPress)
- “Dynamic” functionality gives website owners the ability to “log-in” and make changes to the content of the site.
- e-Commerce Website: $2,600 – $10,000+
- Includes the basic “brochure pages”: Home, About, Products/Services, Contact
- Plus eCommerce functionality with:
- Shopping cart software:
- Ability to add & update products
- Accept and Process Payments (Credit Cards, Paypal, etc)
Example data provided by WhichWebDesign.com
Based on which choices you make along how you are able to plan on paying hundreds, or perhaps tens of thousands of dollars. Low end quantities come in shared hosting higher conclusion quantities, using topics and images and coding capabilities that are strong.
You get exactly what you pay for.